Re: Toy trucks!

On Sun, 29 Nov 1998 23:34:57 -0700 "Kurt Musgrave" <rvar@domain.elided>
writes:
>IH'ers,  This may be all wrong but my local C*se-IH dealer says Navistar
has
>not or will not license Ertl to make those using IH trucks. I do know
they
>use the same truck with several different logo schemes. (Jo*n D*ere
etc.)
>Maybe they just haven't seen the need to make some IH trucks.  If you
will
>notice some of those logos just have the word Harvester under the logo
instead of International Harvester.  Case cannot use the word
International
>except in places where it was originally used.  Anybody know that to be
true
>or not?  Eastwood does have some IH toys, some R series trucks and even
>modern International 4000.  Check it out:
>		http://www.mcctoybox.com/

Short version of what I've heard about the names:Case owns the IH logo,
the International Harvester trademark, and the International trademark as
related to farm equipment.  Navistar owns the trademark International for
trucks and can also use IH where it's historically accurate, as in
authorizing it on toy trucks where it was originally used.  Case has been
using both Case and International on their tractors, although I've heard
they are now dropping the International.  I don't understand any logos
with just Harvester as I don't recall any use of that by itself in the
past.

I've wondered about the reason for the non-International trucks in the
toy sets, but it may be that the agreements with KW or Ford make it
easier for Ertl to package them that way than to coordinate with both
Case and Navistar.  Or perhaps, Case and/or Navistar intend to distance
themselves from each other in this area and won't allow the sets to be
packaged with both Internationals.  You wouldn't have seen a Ford shop
truck at an IH dealer until after 1975 when there were no more IH
pickups.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]