Re: ihc-digest V6 #312

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, ihc-digest wrote:

> From: tsm1@domain.elided (Tom Mandera)
> Subject: Trans Cooler = FS Radiator?
>
> Observation #2 - no matter how much power you smoothly apply, you probably
> can't lift the square wheel "guards" of the engine hoist over the square
> edge of the sidewalk, when you have a 750lbs motor dangling from the hoist.

TOM!!! That is why you NEED a *tractor* (uh, oh, I just got a new idea in
his head!).  Take your welder, and make an attachment for the 3-pt. hitch
in the back to pull engines.  Basically a long pipe, etc., that attachs to
the top point, and two arms that come off of that pipe/whatever to the
bottom two points....  I would think an old Ford 8N would have enought
power to lift 750 pounds (might want to counterwieght the front though
*grin*).  I have seen something like this before, why haven't you thought
of it.  Heck, you could even get a tractor that is 4x4.:)  With a *lot*
bigger tires on the back than 33's. :)

> Even in 4-low, with the front hubs locked... burnt clutch smells bad, but it

Wouldn't have that problem with the tractor....

> Tom <-- smarter in his old age... or lazier

My vote is lazier, and somewhat smarter.  We had a saying at work this
summer, "work smarter, not harder".:)

> Would a small "full-size" radiator work suitably for an automatic
> transmission cooler?  I think I've seen aftermarket trans coolers bigger
> than the main radiator in this car..

You may have seen aftermarket ones that are bigger, but all of the ones I
have seen have *pipes* that are about 1/2" diameter with fins on them.  I
have never *seen* anything that looks like a radiator being used for
transmission fluid cooling.  Do you think the little slots in the radiator
will be large enough for the trans fluid to flow through without too much
restriction??  I could see some problems with that.  I am not a mechanic
by any means, but my gut feeling would be to not use it.  Anybody else
have any ideas?

Oh, will the gas in my oil evaporate out?  I don't think it is a case of a
bad fuel pump diaphram, I think I just flooded it quite a few times.  I
know the oil needs to be changed....

Dan Felix