Re: Tom needs a tractor

>TOM!!! That is why you NEED a *tractor* (uh, oh, I just got a new idea in
>his head!).  Take your welder, and make an attachment for the 3-pt. hitch

<GRIN>  My grandfather has a '44 Farmall C... that work?  I just have to
wait a while.. every time I try to talk him out of his guns, boat, or '74
GMC, I get "I ain't dead yet!" out of him.. :-)  And as much as I want that
Farmall, pickup, and boat... I'll take my grandfather instead.. so hopefully
I have a long time to wait. :-)

>in the back to pull engines.  Basically a long pipe, etc., that attachs to
>the top point, and two arms that come off of that pipe/whatever to the
>bottom two points....  I would think an old Ford 8N would have enought

What I *have* thought of (believe it or not, but mom made this suggestion)
is to remove the pickup box from my "parts truck" Chevy Luv 2wd.  $100 for
the truck.. put a timing light on it, and it runs like a top.. just looks
like hell.

Remove the box, and install something of a flat bed.  Mount my shop hoist to
the flatbed.  Voila.  "Yard truck" for pushing parts cars around the back
yard, or for lifting engines and draggin' 'em around... or for junk-yard
parts runs or....

And it's small enough to be nimble in the backyard.. much more so than my
stepdad's '69 GMC that we thought of doing the same for.. but we may have
found a pickup box for it... (current one, with 30 years on it, aint' doin'
so well any more)

Hmmmm.... I'm thinking a Scout 80 Cab-top would make a great yard-truck...
small, nimble, 4x4 w/ low range.. and I could mount a hoist to it... heck,
mount a Milemarker hydraulic winch in the bed, and use it to power the hoist...

>You may have seen aftermarket ones that are bigger, but all of the ones I
>have seen have *pipes* that are about 1/2" diameter with fins on them.  I
>have never *seen* anything that looks like a radiator being used for
>transmission fluid cooling.  Do you think the little slots in the radiator
>will be large enough for the trans fluid to flow through without too much

This is the precise problem I was thinking of when I looked at it... it's
not quite "right" for the application...

How much fluid does a 727 flow through the cooler?  How much runs through
the motor's radiator?

I s'pose I could always just plumb the Pontiac radiator in-line with the
2-row Scout II radiator I'm going to use.. still mount it in the bed w/ a
fan... that way, if the main radiator gets plugged up with mud, the little
one in back would work... OTOH, that's a lot of radiator hose running
through a Scout II that will be jumped and cornered hard...

>Oh, will the gas in my oil evaporate out?  I don't think it is a case of a
>bad fuel pump diaphram, I think I just flooded it quite a few times.  I
>know the oil needs to be changed....

I'm thinkin'... it won't evaporate out.  In fact, it's mixed with your oil
in a solution.  The oil's "toast"... IMO.  Change it.  Even if you buy some
really cheap oil and a filter... it's better n' what' s in there.

My $0.02

-Tom