Re: Dan's rub

On Sun, 29 Nov 1998, Daniel Nees wrote:

>    My tires aren't rubbing on the inside of the fender, but on the
> bottom of the fender. That is the part where the fender is joined to the
> inner. It isn't the tire getting cut, but the tread rubbing on the lip.

I was talking of the front fender LIP.  Not necessarily the inside of the
wheel well or fender.. but the very edge.  For me, this was both at the
very front of the wheel well (behind the turn signal) and on the side in
the same general area.

> The passenger side front had the lower portion of the front fender bent
> completely up into the well. The drivers side is the only part of the

Mine hasn't rubbed this badly up front.  Do you have the anti-sway bar
installed?  Wondering if you're getting so much flex because the sway
bar's off.. I'll have to play more with mine removed..

> tire. I took the High-lift and attempted to bend this up some, but; not

You'll need to either notch it like I did and fold it over.. or just
WHACK IT ALL with your chop-saw. :-)  I'm going to clearance mine more..
the ripped spring mount helped remove most of the driver's side.. so I
might as well make the passenger side look the same, right?

> enough to fix the rub. If I was running a narower tire it would be
> rubbing the sidewall like you describe, but it is wide enough that it
> hits the bottom of the fender.

I'm not understanding this, Dan.. I run 33x12.50s.. which are wider than
your 31x10.50s. :-)  Granted, back spacing and rim width has something to
do with it, but..

I think we're talking about the same thing... apparently you're rubbing
more on the very front than I did.. my 33s tucked inside without laying
too hard into the front edge of the front wheel well/fender.  This
allowed it to tuck enough that, when turning and compressed, I could
slice the side of the tire on the bottom of the "L" of the outer fender
on the *side* (but still towards the front)

-Tom