Re: Blowing up the engine

Chris,

The auto mfrs don't even measure the emissions on the highway any more.
It's so much lower than cold start.  Virtually all of the current work on
emissions is spent on cold start.

Has anyone considered that a cat converter really doesn't **clean**
anything.  If you ask a chemist he will tell you.  All it does is convert
(that's it name) illegal pollutants into legal pollutants.  The only way
to really cut down on pollution is to burn less.

I for one am not convinced that all the additional tons of hydrogen
sulphide, and sulphuric acid are more beneficial than the original stuff.

Has anyone noticed that acid rain is a much more serious problem since
all the fly ash has been removed from the stacks of coal burning
plants??  Fly ash neutralizes the acid.

I guess my point is that the interactions are really complex and we don't
think long enough to understand the implications of what we do.  After
looking at some prehistoric climate studies it's interesting that for
most of its' history the earth was seriously colder than it is now.
Enough to really matter.  The current temps are really just the top of a
sort of wide spike in the temp record.  I think that is something to
think about.

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776