Dual cats

I said that the duals were illegal, but I could never figure out what was
what, truthfully.

There are tehcnically only two sizes of cats, small and large. (under 6 ltrs
and above, or something like that).

My Jeep originally came with GM's 151 4 and 1 cat.  The 151 is 1/2 of a 305
(ignore the math for a moment).

So if I put a 305 in the Jeep, used two cats specified for the 151, then
what's the diff?

But I think it's illegal because the CJ never had two cats.  Very few
vehicles did, but there were some.

Now if you transplant a later engine into an earlier vehicle, you're
supposed to set it up for the later emissions.  But if the donor had 2 cats
and the donee never did, then???

Stupid visual inspection.