Plug wires, and John L's engine removal...

        My registration expired Oct 31, but with my timing gears, and
     tranny filter problems, it came in finally last weekend.  I was
     reaching down to adjust the carb before I went for the emissions test,
     and an arc about blew the screwdriver out of my hand!  WHAT THE!

        I went to remove the plug boots, and zap-zap-zap, shocked over and
     over.  Right to Checker (I bought lifetime Autolite wires there for
     $25).  They opened up the new box.  I swapped them out in the parking
     lot, pass the test, and pay the $8 late fee.  T'all is legal again.
     Personally, if I have any doubt in the wires, I just tell the clerks
     that I can see arcing at night, and the boots shock me awful when I go
     to remove them.  Works every time.

        John L.  You are right about the dogbone mounts in the front.
     These were used until '74 when the engines in the full size, light
     trucks were moved back 8" from the original 3" fan shroud.  The
     transmission has the same mount as in the Scout, and either a divorced
     Transfer, or longer rear drive shaft with carrier bearing.  Some 2wd
     have a longer tail-cone or output-housing, resulting in a transmision
     that is about 10" longer that the normal 2wd Scout style (or 4wd
     T'all) 727.  Remove the two bolts at the tranny mount first, then
     remove the dogbones after you have the hoist connected.  Otherwise the
     engine will tilt to one side or the other, and make it hard to get out
     of there.  The front clip on the trucks really come apart pretty easy,
     you may want to remove the grill and core support and take the motor
     out the front instead of from above.

        Cool beans on the find, $150. I had to buy a whole truck for $400
     to get my spare 392.

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727 RE8000, Cibie40s, custom
                rear tire rack, 6 different color body panels.
                Not much sport, all utility.
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727 Hummer brush guard,
                3/4T rear springs, Hella Rallye 2000s, Con-Ferr 5x7,
                Class IV hitches front and rear, 3" Exhaust.
                1st Place, Rocky Mountain IH Rendezvous,
                3rd Place, Tulare IH Western Regionals.
         '74 IHC Travelall 150? 2wd 392/tf727 "The 'new' one"
                Factory AM/FM, Cruise, Tilt, AC, Captains Chairs,
                Rblt, Alt, carb, fuel pump, ps pump, water pump, dash,
                seats, rear door, starter, master cyl, what could be left?