Holding in the Rear Axle

When the truth serum kicked in, "Owen" <renarac@domain.elided> blurted out...

>Considering these aren't full floating hubs, and don't use c-clips, the only
>thing holding the axle in place is the bearing collar. Spin a bearing and
>you might loose an axle.

Funny you should mention this Owen.  I was thinking about this very subject
just the other day.  I went so far as to study the IH parts manual and shop
manual trying to understand just what exactly is holding the rear axle shafts
in.  I repacked my rear wheel bearings on my Traveler back in 1996, and at the
time it never occurred to me to think much about it.  Then one day when I was
discussing C-clip axles with a Jeep owner friend, I started to wonder how the
Scout held the axle in.

This seems sort of scary... just a pressed on mental sleeve holding the axle
shaft in!!!  But I don't see them flying off on the freeway, so I guess it
works.

Happy Thanksgiving,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)