Re: carb choke Q

In a brilliant stroke of genius, Christopher Eveland
<eveland@domain.elided> blurted out:

>	What I had kinda been figureing on doing was to put an electric choke
>on it, but after striking out at summit and jegs, I caled Holley tech
>support, and they said that you can't do it on a "divoreced choke".
>Anyone know what that is?

A "divorced choke" is some sort of automatic choke device that is not
actually mounted on the carburetor (hence it is "divorced" from the
carburetor).  It activates the choke plate via linkage connected between it
and the carburetor.

Typically a divorced choke consists of a bi-metallic spring heated by the
intake manifold, exhaust manifold or engine coolant.  In your case, since
the carb is not designed perfectly for your engine, the best solution would
probably be a manual choke.  It's not going to be simple of course, but
probably the easiest.  You can buy a new choke cable kit at any good auto
parts store.  The new cable will be way too long so you can cut it to
length to suit the new set-up.

I'd try fabricating some sort of bracket to hold the choke cable either on
the intake manifold or the carburetor itself.  You'll simply have to get
creative.  Have a mechanically minded friend brain storm with you and help
design it.

I really like manual chokes myself.

Best of luck,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |