RE: starter breaking

I think you mean an IH 6.9 liter diesel, right?  The 83 through 87 6.9 came
with a Delco starter.  I have 2 of these diesels.  I had one of my pickups
break a couple and also have seen several broken just as you have described.
There is no rear brace but fabricating one may help.  In my experience it
usually happens when starting cold.  The engine fires a couple times and
speeds up and then when the starter takes over again the strain is too much.
The one pickup I had trouble with started very hard.  The one that never
gave a problem started easily.  The later pickups starting in about 88 or so
I believe came with a Mitsubishi starter.  It will interchange.  I think any
automotive electrical place will be able to fix you up.  I don't remember
ever seeing one of these broken.  Other than that make sure timing is
properly set and all the glow plugs are working.  Anything that helps it
start easier.

Kurt.