Edelbrock carb

>Are there any Binderites out there in Binder World that have used the
>Carter AFB (500 CFM, electric choke) or its Edelbrock equivalent for hard
>core 4-wheeling?
>Someone at the local performance shop told me the Carter AFB will do well
>at steep angles up and down, but the side mounted float bowls will flood
>the engine at steep side to side angles.  Anyone have any experience with
>this?
>He said (and others) the Q-jet is the best carb for wheeling, but that
>it's difficult to tune compared to the Carter AFB's.  A rebuilt Q-jet is
>also more expensive than a new Carter AFB.
>4-wheeling here in Arizona means big rocks, big hills, and steep angles.
>Will the Carter give me any problems?

I've got a 500 cfm (manual choke) Edelbrock on my 304 cid CJ-7. It coughs
and sputters a radical uphills. Coughed going up Lion's Back, but that was
more altitude than angle. I wheel this thing hard, and short of fuel
injection, I think it's the best thing around. Lower float levels, use
"offroad" spring set (needle valve) and fuel pressure regulator.

It seems more tempermental re: temperature and altitude (barometric
pressure) than angle of ascent. No problems on side angles.

I'm going to put this carb on my wife's Scout.

                                /////
                               ( / \ )
                              (  O O  )
             	  Bob Deruy  mailto:BobXian@domain.elided