4 speed auto tranny for AMC 6 Cyl (232/258) owners

I'm not sure on this one, but, some Jeep guys were telling me that
the newer 4 speed automatics that fit the 4.0L Jeep Cherokees
and such have the same bolt pattern as the older AMC 232 and
258 6 cylinder motors.  And those have the same pattern
as AMC 360 and 401 V-8s.  IHC used both the 6 cylinder
and the 401 engines from AMC (though they called the 401 a 400).
So, there may be a way for folks with these engines to swap in
a 4 speed automatic.  I don't know if these units are up to V-8
torque ratings though.  But I thought I would pass it along...

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup