Re: Pulsing Alternator

>I think have the same problem- but it can't be as Epp says, as my alt. in
>general follows a normal cycle.  What I mean is that when you start the
>truck up, the ammeter needle goes to where you expect, and returns to the
>slightly charging area.  If you did something to drain the battery a bit,
>then it will go to the higher charge,  etc. etc.

Yup. That's exactly what mine looks like.

>No signs of ever actually loosing the connection.

Same here.

>But although I say my needle is where I expect to be at any given time, it
>spikes upward from that point at a rate of about 1/sec and almost 1/8 scale
>at idle.  It's enough of a spike that I can see a visible flashing in the
>lights.  The frequency increases with engine rpm, until it's almost
>vibrating at highway speed.
>Is this what you're seeing?  You said, though, you didn't see it at idle.

I don't see mine at idle. but if I gun it it'll act just like you described.

>P.S, it started just before I went to the Nat's.  It went away by the end
of
>the trip.  It didn't return until just a couple of weeks ago.

Oooh, this is getting spooky. Mine pulsed yesterday and this morning, but
tonight (since I was going to work on it) it works perfectly. I hit every
pothole I could on the way home but couldn't get it to flicker.

>I may just get lazy and run it over to an alternator shop next week.. if
so,
>I'll let you know.

Mine's been tested 3 times, twice in the car and once on the test stand.
Every time it passed with flying colors. Finally I bought a new one with the
agreement that if it worked the car parts manager would take back the old
one. Well, the new one did it too. So I have to think Epp's on the right
track. But I can't fix it if it's working !

John