Pulsing alternator

I think have the same problem- but it can't be as Epp says, as my alt. in
general follows a normal cycle.  What I mean is that when you start the
truck up, the ammeter needle goes to where you expect, and returns to the
slightly charging area.  If you did something to drain the battery a bit,
then it will go to the higher charge,  etc. etc.

No signs of ever actually loosing the connection.

But although I say my needle is where I expect to be at any given time, it
spikes upward from that point at a rate of about 1/sec and almost 1/8 scale
at idle.  It's enough of a spike that I can see a visible flashing in the
lights.  The frequency increases with engine rpm, until it's almost
vibrating at highway speed.

Is this what you're seeing?  You said, though, you didn't see it at idle.

P.S, it started just before I went to the Nat's.  It went away by the end of
the trip.  It didn't return until just a couple of weeks ago.

I may just get lazy and run it over to an alternator shop next week.. if so,
I'll let you know.