Re: "Body In White"

GM sells Camaro and Firebird "bodies in white" through GM Performance dealers
to racers as a platform for building late-model race cars.  I'm pretty sure it
consists of just the body shell, no doors, no interior, no nothin'.  In this
case it's the welded body assembly that everything else is bolted to.

Jerry Muncie

In a message dated 11/16/98 7:47:33 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
n9ads@domain.elided writes:

<< On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:30:17 +0000 alice@domain.elided writes:
 >When I see new vehicle manufacturing lines, people often speak
 >of "body in white" or "white metal" as a phase in the process.
 >Can anyone explain what this means?
 >Mark

 I don't know the origin of the phrase other than most of the spy photos
 of experimental models seem to be in white paint or grey primer and i've
 always assumed it referred to a body before its final painting.

 Howard Pletcher
 Howteron Products Scout Parts >>