Conversion to manual choke

Binders,

I'm tired of dealing with an inconsistent choke, so I'm going to convert to
a manual setup.  I was looking at the existing linkages and the directions
in the conversion kit I picked up, and, of course, there's a discrepancy.
My setup is a 345 w/ a 4v Thermoquad.  The directions tell me to bend the
rod coming from "beneath" the choke out of the way, and to hook up the
choke cable blah blah blah.  There's no mention of what to do with the
vacuum-actuated linkage that also appears to regulate the choke.  Does
anyone know what I'm supposed to do with this?  (I've also heard mixed
feelings about manual choke conversions - any thoughts there?)  In the mean
time, my relentless high-idle speed will at least prevent the truck from
stalling.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Joe Costanzo
'79 Scout II