392 for 345 swap

IH all,

I just bought a rather large trailer and was thinking my
Traveler would make a good tow vehicle for it.  I pulled the
beast with my Scout ('78) with 345, 727, and 4.11 gears.
The engine was adequate, but I long for more power.  What
would be involved in dropping a 392 in place of the 345?  My
345 smokes much worse since pulling the trailer than it did
before, so I think a rebuild is in order anyway.  I have
smog laws to deal with, no visual, but I do have to pass a
sniffer test.  To be legal (which I honestly try to do) I'd
need a '78 or newer 392 with EGR.  ...but as long as I can
put out less than 5% CO, and 1200 ppm Hydrocarbons, I can
pass the sniffer.  ...but I do like to remain legal.

So, what do I watch out for?  I've heard of raising
compression by installing 345 heads on the 392.  I'd like to
do this, but I don't know what to look for as far as
year/application so I don't get the "improved cooling" 392.
...and I must be able to run regular gas when I'm done.
Premium is way too expensive.  I have two complete 345's, so
I'd like to use heads from one of those.  Both are 1978, one
federal, one Kalifornia emission.  Oh, yeah, a 4V intake is
mandatory so I can install some fuel injection.

Help...   Howard???  You there?

Doug
'78 Scout
'78 Traveler