Re: Carb Gurus

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, John A. Landry wrote:

> After reading about your ongoing troubles, I could be wrong, but it sounds
> like you're experiencing classic symptoms of over-carburation.  That is,

I sure hope I don't have too much carb... I spent $50 extra to get the
350cfm 2bbl that I knew was the right size over the cheaper 500cfm 2bbl!

Motor's a 304V8, with a Holley #7448.. a 350cfm 2300 series 2bbl.  They
don't come a lot smaller!

> It sounds like you have a "flat spot" in the transition from the idle
> circuit to the main metering circuit.  As you know, when the throttle is

Exactly the case.  If I'm at half throttle and nail it, it usually works
fine.  But from idle to half, there's a real flat spot.  Also, if I have
it running a bit above idle, and nail it, sometimes there I also have the
flat spot..

> opened the air moves faster than the fuel which causes a momentary lean air
> / fuel mixture condition, and of course the accelerator pump is supposed to
> bridge this gap.  You have been playing around with the accelerator pump I

Whaddya know.. I'm starting to understand this stuff... I was going along
the *same* line of thinking..

> know, so this is baffling.  Have you tried an accelerator pump cam and
> setting which gives immediate and a long dispensing of fuel?  You probably
> don't need a huge volume of fuel... just an immediate and sustained amount
> until the main metering circuit can catch up.

I haven't touched the cam.  That was the question... I've tried
everything else... I've been leery of adding *another* variable into the
system until I've tweaked as well as I can with what I have. :)

I'll see about getting an assortment of cams.. I think I have a few
friends with a pile of 'em I might be able to scrounge through..

> >Friday or Monday).. $33 for the stock coil, $27 for the Accel from
> >Summit!  Sheesh...
>
> Mr. Money Bags!

NOT!  :)  Not sure if I'll just send the Accel coil back.. or try it
anyhow and see if it's any better than a new stock coil.. wouldn't hurt
to have a spare in the truck I guess... it's been an expensive day off!

Tomorrow I get to find out what the tire siping's gonna run me... ;)

> What's the condenser for???  You don't need one with the Pertronix... you
> mean the one on the coil?  That's for radio interference suppression.  It
> doesn't affect performance.

Yep, coil condensor.. now you tell me.. ;)  The condensor was what caused
me to buy a new coil.. if I would've just left the stupid thing OFF and
not bothered to hook it back up, I wouldn't have broken the coil post
off.. argghh.. but, since I didn't know any different, if it was there
before, it's going back on there when I'm done.  I seem to screw up less
frequently that way. ;)

Thanks, John.  Just looking for confirmation I was tracking things in the
right direction.

-Tom