Re: T-98 Tranny

><< Can't be a T98, John.  The T98 was a 2wd only transmission used in

>Interesting tidbit, I have a T98 in my now 4X4, I always figured they were
>built the same, just without the transfer case, everything bolted up so nice,
>it was almost perfect.  Are you sure they never put the 98 in a 4x4
>originally.  Not questioning your knowledge, it just fit so nice.

Brian,

My apologies.  The T98 in your pickup *IS* a 2wd transmission... so to
speak.  There is no transfer case mated to the backside of the T98.  You
have a 2wd tranny, with a short intermediate driveshaft to the divorced
NP205 (or possibly Rockwell) transfercase.

In *that* sense, you have a 2wd transmission.

Since the divorced NP205 wasn't used in Scouts, they didn't (originally) get
the T98.

neat thing with the divorced setup... you could swap out for an auto
transmission... or the 5spd... or just yank the IH motor and tranny out for
a 7.3L Powestroke and Ford ZF-6spd... and all you'd need is the short
intermediate shaft to the NP205, and you'd be ready to roll.

How's that for whetting folks' appetites?... find me a 2wd SuperDuty! :-)

So the T98 was used in 4wd applications... but, in the manner I was using,
it's not a 4wd transmission.

Functionally, the T98 in your 4wd pickup is NO different than the T98 in a
2wd pickup.

OTOH, a 2wd T19 or 2wd T18 has a different tailhousing than a 4wd T19/T18.
You must modify (bolt a different adapter) the T18/T19 to go from 2wd to 4wd...

-Tom