Transfer Case Poistion [WAS: Still feeling stupid...]

In a brilliant stroke of genius, cookiedan@domain.elided (Daniel Nees) blurted
out:

>   The 727 moves the T/case back about 4". I can't really see this
>making that big a deal. I guess I'll have to take my magnetic compass
>with us when we go wheeling on the 28th and see what angle Joe's and my
>driveshaft are at.

Are you sure about this Dan?

If the transfer case were in a different position between an auto equipped
Scout and a manual equipped Scout, I would think the transfer case shift
lever would have to have a different bend between the models to clear the
dash when in 4L.  I see no distinction in the IH parts manual for a
different shift lever, with the exception of a diesel equipped Scout.

Speaking of transfer case shift levers...  I successfully removed mine,
bent it after heating with a torch and reinstalled it.  What a joy!  The
lever slips easily into 4L with about 1/2" clearance in the floor cutout
and the knob remains clear of the dash by maybe 3".  Now it stays firmly in
4L when placed there.  Ditto for 4H.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |   I want to know the TRUTH about our
Conservative Libertarian         |     government's secret operations.
Life Member of the NRA           |
WA Arms Collectors               | That's why I watch the X-Files on FOX!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model