Re: Weld Bond use?

In a brilliant stroke of genius, "Joseph M. Shaw, II"
<MikeIIDC@domain.elided> blurted out:

>Does anyone know if J.B. Weld Bond will sand down very well at all?  I
>plan to experiment with this this weekend, but thought maybe someone had
>some prior knowledge.  I need to make a small but very stable repair to
>my motorcycle's fairing and thought that J.B. would work much better
>than the cheap Bondo stuff from parts stores.  Any input?

Mike,

If you are repairing a plastic fairing, you really don't want to use J. B.
Weld for that.  Any good motorcycle shop should have a special kit that is
specifically designed to repair plastic fairings.  I'm sorry I don't have
the brand name with me here at work.

I bought one a couple of years ago and it worked great.  Basically it comes
with some sort of prep chemical you use after lightly sanding the cracked
area, then you cut a piece of fiberglass cloth that comes with the kit, and
finally you apply a glue and activator.  I repaired several hairline cracks
that were getting pretty bad on my V65 Magna and they have held up
perfectly after the repair.  The repaired areas are stronger than the
original plastic.  The kit has enough materials to last many years if used
sparingly and properly... I recall maybe the piece of fiberglass was like
6" x 8" with enough chemicals to match.

I'm afraid you find J.B. Weld will crack too unless possibly applied very
thick.  It cures pretty hard and brittle.

Good luck,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       | TEENAGERS: Tired of being harassed by
Conservative Libertarian         |            your stupid parents?
Life Member of the NRA           |
WA Arms Collectors               |                ACT NOW!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    | Move out, get a job, and pay your own
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | bills while you still know everything!