Clutch Q's

hey guys,
	well i took the scout to get worked on last week (1976 IHC Scout Traveler 345
4 speed stick), it had an engine overhaul. when i got it back the engine was
running fine, but the clutch is acting funny. the clutch engages just fine,
but the release is very high on the pedal. i half to bring the clutch pedal
all the way up, barely able to play with it. is there any way for me to adjust
it so the release is back lower like it used to be? it almost feels like it
doesn't release all the way. also since i bought it i noticed that the scout
likes to take off in second gear, first gear is way too short and is hard to
use in city driving.  does anyone else have this problem? the previous owner
said it was first was climbing hills and mountains only. That for city driving
I should always take off in second. this is my 2nd scout, the first was an '80
turbo diesel, and that drove extremely different on the trans. any comments,
do I have to do a clutch job or something? How much will that run more or
less?  TIA

Carlos