Re: Re: More on 800 power steering conversion parts

Bill T clarified some points about the 80/800 PS conversion:

>......Pickups and Travelalls of the specified vintage used a
larger-splined
version of that same "cup" -- which just happens to be precisely the proper
size for the splined input shaft of a Scout II power steering
gear...........<

Bill,
  The thing I still don't understand is the business of the solid tube
steering columns (like my '67's).  I wasn't able to position the Scout II
box so it lined up with the original solid tube column.   If I had it lined
up, then the pitman arm interferred with the front spring.   My concern in
mounting the box was to clear the spring (Mr Scout apparently has a kit
with a pitman arm modified for clearnace).   Once it was mounted for spring
clearnace, the existing column and the new box were hopelessly out of line.
 So I got a column out of a '70 800 V8.  That column is short, it just
extended a little way out from the firewall.  It was simple to get some
speed shop steering u-joints and shaft to couple the box and the column.
Coupling shafts together wasn't my problem, the speed shops sell about
every imaginable coupler combination.  It was strictly an alignment problem
with the column and the Scout II box input shaft.

  My question, does the FAQ method cover those 800's with the solid long
column?    I don't see how those long columns can possibly be lined up with
the Scout II boxes.

  I don't want to belabor this point, but people keep asking me how to do
this conversion.  Obviously, my method was quite a bit different than the
FAQ.  Again, does the FAQ method work with long column 800's?  Or only the
short column later models?

Doug