Re: Re: More on 800 power steering conversion parts

>  I don't want to belabor this point, but people keep asking
> me how to do this conversion.  Obviously, my method was
> quite a bit different than the FAQ.  Again, does the FAQ method
> work with long column 800's?  Or only the short column later models?
>
> Doug

Doug:

I don't claim to know all there is to know about the various steering
columns used on Scouts from 1961 to 1971 ("long" vs. "short", etc.)  I
acquired my first "little Scout" -- a 1971 800B -- only a couple of months
ago, and make no claims to expertise re: their production history or
variations.

Here's what I *do* know, and perhaps we can piece together the whole picture
from our combined knowledge:

* According to Comer, the procedure in the FAQ relates ONLY to Scouts that
were originally equipped with V-8's from the factory.  I believe I've
mentioned this, but perhaps it wasn't sufficiently clear.

* Since the V-8 was not an option prior to 1966 (?) any steering columns
prior to this point in time may well have been different, and all bets are
therefore off in regard to the procedure in the FAQ.  I'm not certain when
the "collapsible" steering columns were introduced as a safety feature, but
my bet is that it was sometime in the early 60's, and may well play a part
in this confusion.

* Post-1966 Scouts with motors *other* than the V-8 may also have had
different steering columns -- particularly the 4-poppers, since the gear was
mounted on the opposite side of the frame rail and further forward.  Again,
all bets re: the FAQ procedure would have to be off, untill someone more
knowledgeable than I comes along to say that the steering columns are
similar.

I'm sorry I can't answer more definitively the question you keep asking.  I
can only share what I know.

Regards,

Bill Thebert
The Binder Bulletin