Wet Road Driving Comments Sought Please

Hey guys,
This is Scout related, I think.  A little background.  I recently
purchased (cheap) a used Mazda (hey, it was REAL cheap) 2WD PU for
commuter use (about 65 miles RT daily, moderate hills).  My old Mazda
626 (FWD) has about a quarter million miles on it and I worry about
it.  A couple of days of recent PU driving have forced me to
"respect" RWD vehicles ...white knuckle slip sliding on wet roads.  I
am questioning whether I made a good decision in getting a
lightweight RWD PU for a climate of wet and sometimes snowy winter
driving (Midwest).

Hindsight vision always being perfect, I could have brought the Scout
around as a dependable vehicle given all the time the Mazda PU has
consumed.  Of course, I could sell it at a profit ...investing it in
the Scout ...or go drink it sitting in the Scout2.

My question.  Is a Scout2 as scary to drive in inclement weather as a
2WD PU?  Why or why not?  Can a Scout2 be a full year driving
vehicle.  I realize 4WD will be advantageous in snow ...that nothing
is good on glare ice (except an ice sailboat) ...but what about wet
days?  2WD with good tires?  Chains?  4WD?

Is a Scout2 inherently a better design than a 2WD PU for wet weather?
I mean, they both have relatively light rear ends, don't they?
Mark