Re: Xfer Case Jumping Out of 4L

In a brilliant stroke of genius, Doug Rasmussen <76075.2276@domain.elided>
blurted out:

>   I had a similiar problem with a Scout II transfer case in my 800.
>Rather than try to bend it with the shift lever out of the vehicle, I
>suggest you bend it while it's in the vehicle.  With an acetylene torch it
>doesn't take much to get it hot enough to bend.
>
>  Heat it, bend it, do a few trial shifts to check clearances.  Reheat and
>rebend as neccessary.  A ten minute job.

Doug,

I thought about that, but there's two main problems with that approach that
kept me well away from it...

1. The main forward movement limiting factor of my transfer case shift
lever was the oval shaped hole in the transmission hump cover.  Therefore
the bend needed to be below said cover.  This would mean having to remove
the cover and heat the shift lever below the transmission hump.

2. Yesterday, after seeing how much heat it took to bend the shift lever,
there's no way in hell I'd want that anywhere near my Scout... especially
the interior.  I had to chuck the lever in a huge vise and use a very large
acetylene / oxygen heating torch.  The tremendous amount of heat required a
flame so bright I had to wear standard cutting goggles.  I basically had to
get the lever cherry red to get it to move.  Don't ask me what the lever is
made of, but it's pretty tough.  I only hope the heating and bending
operation didn't damage the temper of the lever.  I let it cool naturally
without quenching.

No... I think it would have been disaster trying to use such a torch in my
truck.  I could possibly see heating and bending a shift lever at a thinner
point, well above the transmission hump (inside the truck) if you also had
a more or less stripped interior (no floor covering, etc.).  I painted the
lever with Hammerite last night and will try the fit after work today.

Regards,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       | For such a promiscuous conglomeration
Conservative Libertarian         | of numbskulls as generally constitutes
Life Member of the NRA           | an army, a six pound trigger is well
WA Arms Collectors               | enough.  With an easy pull soldiers
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    | would decimate their own ranks more
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | than those of the enemy. T. S. Van Dyke