Re: More electrical woes!

When the truth serum kicked in, "Joseph M. Shaw, II" <MikeIIDC@domain.elided>
blurted out...

>So anyway, any of you electrical geniuses-Dan Nees, John Landry, et.
>al., I am at your mercy.  Maybe I'll go out and throw the other battery
>in and it will start right up and run happily ever after!  If anyone has
>any ideas in the event that that does not happen, please let me know!

Mike,

It sounds to me like you have a serious short somewhere.  I wouldn't monkey
around trying to jump start your beat until you nail down exactly what the
problem is.

With the ignition off, and no battery connected, you should get very high
resistance across the two battery cable connectors... as in no open circuits.
If not (low resistance), then you have a problem and need to start isolating
where the short is step by step.  Likely it's got something to do with that
firewall connection or maybe somewhere at the starter or alternator.  This
might have been your problem all along (with the old alternator)... a short.

Use the electrical charts on the FAQ if you don't have a shop manual to guide
you.

Hang in there,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       | For such a promiscuous conglomeration
Conservative Libertarian         | of numbskulls as generally constitutes
Life Member of the NRA           | an army a six pound pull is well
WA Arms Collectors               | enough.  With an easy pull soldiers
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    | would decimate their own ranks more
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | than those of the enemy. T. S. Van Dyke