Re: Voting - be sure you understand what you are voting for

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:15:56 -0800, Tom Harais wrote:

>Al:
>
>Even if we were "wild hot-rodders" what does it matter?
>
>The "ban it all" folks, simply find that if they don't want/need/use or
>understand something, and they hear something bad about it anyway, they'll

Tom,
  An evocitive essay that I agree with mostly. Maybe as a recent
American that grew up outside of the USA I might put in a couple of
comments. For those of you located in Oz forgive me this is a Pommy
point of view.Punishnment of all for the sins of one is an established
training aid, most elite military units use the concept to build team
work, BUT ONLY in an advarisarial situation (them and us) (DI and
Recruit). What I have seen since I have been in this country is a major
tendancy to blame the tool, circumstances not withstanding. As long as
"something" is perceived to be being done both the populace and the
politicians feel that all is (going to be) mended. None addresses the
base problem, for example the latest CA problem of MTBE, people talking
about baning engines instead of removeing the poison from gasoline.

I'll stop ranting now.