Re: IH Parts/Fiche --Comments Please

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998 00:42:46 +0000 alice@domain.elided writes:
>Hello,
.  As for the fiche, they want to
>keep that as long as they have the parts.  I could probably buy it if
>the lot of parts went to another dealer who has his own fiche.  At
>any case, it may be that only a very small percentage of the fiche is
>Scout related, all of it difficult to read, impossible to copy
>legibly, readily available somewhere-I-do-not-yet-know and requiring
>me to beg-borrow-buy a reader!
>
>Any thoughts, comments, tips, beer greatly appreciated!
>Mark

The fiche are copies of the paper parts books which came in volumes
broken out by major models.  Unless he had a Scout fiche, you may have
been looking through engines for some other model, although most parts
would be interchangable.

The fiche are not particularly rare.  Scout/Light Line Distributors has
the Scout parts books on paper: MT-113 for the 61-68 Scout 80 & 800,
MT-123 for the 69-71 Scout 800A/B, and the MT-130 for the Scout II
available new (drop me a line if you're interested) and I think I saw
somewhere that fiche were available too. I think you can get fiche for
other models from Navistar--sales aren't limited to dealers as customers
who do their own servicing have a need for them.   You can pick up fiche
readers at flea markets for $25 or less if you want one, but for your own
use, paper would probably be more convenient.

If the dealer's fiche are headed for the dumpster, I'd grab them, but
otherwise I wouldn't spend much to get them.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]