Re: Blown Timing Gears, Assistance!

>OK, so *how* do you scatter timing gears?  I remember reading on TechTalk
>a few weeks ago about someone else losing their timing gears... what's
>up?  I thought timing *gears* were all but indestructible.. particularly
>compared to "lesser" vehicle's chain systems..

Tom, Joel:

I once purchased a V-392 and wide T-19 combo (used -- the fellow was
converting to a Ford 460), and the timing gears on this motor had
"crumbled".

There was still enough tooth left to engage, but 25-percent of so of the
teeth on the larger (cam) gear were broken off to about half their original
height.  I can only guess that this deterioration was due to heat and lack
of lubrication. The broken surfaces of the damaged teeth appeared very
"crystalline".

My local NAPA was able to get a replacement set;  and the fact that I cannot
recall the price leads me to believe that it must not have seemed
exhorbitant at the time.

I would definitely try to clean or brush out the oil galley passage that
provides lubrication to this area under the timing cover at the time of
replacing the gears.

Bill

P.S. -- not sure why, but I still have that old gearset, btw.  Suppose I'm
just a packrat.