SS II door hinge

SS II Historians,
What are the square hoops for on a Super Scout door hinge plate.
The door frame drops into the inboard hoops (for want of a better word) which functions as the door hinge.
 The outboard (square) hoops do make contact with the door skins so they may be there to hold the door skins tight. Are they for some other function that I am missing?
Flag holders for the 4th of July Parade?
This about as interesting as the snaps on the dash, forgive me.
Willy