Re: front driveline

>I know this has been gone over but could you remind me! I just put in the
>twisted front end 4 caster, 10 yoke. When and why do I need a cv joint in
>the drive line. I have a magnetic angle finder and would like to measure. I
>think I remember that if both yokes are parallel the u-joint will work but
>what degree can it be off for it to still work. The rear is not parallel and
>it still works.

The U-joint yokes should be parallel... and the angle should not exceed 15
degrees if you want U-joints.  At 15 degrees U-joint life is drastically
shortened... but beyond 15 degrees, it'll just flat out bind on the yokes. ;)

Thus, the use of a CV joint.  Even at the "maximum" U-joint angle of 15
degrees, you're better off with a CV joint... I recall that 15-deg = 1/4
life, but 7.5 deg = full life... when using a CV joint on the transfer case
end, both U-joints in the CV operate at 7.5 degrees, to make the full 15...
which means "full" life for the CV, vs. 1/4 life for U-joints.

It's necessary to have the pinion point directly at the transfer case, with
"0" degrees between the driveshaft and pinion.  A little one way or the
other won't hurt (you could even keep in mind the pinion's tendency to
"walk" under load)

-Tom