My 304 - fixed?

Rebuilt the carb today.. grabbed the kit from NAPA shortly after 8am
(when I got home. <grin>), yanked the carb off, tore it down, and let it
soak in carb dip while I took a 3hr nap.  Reassembled using NEW
powervalve, new gaskets, my new off-road needle & seat.

Put it all back together.. adjusted the accelerator pump to spec (.015
clearance), slapped it on the motor, hooked everything back up.. adjusted
idle speed and idle mixture..

Vacuum is hovering around 16.5" of mercury.. my handy tune-up vac. gauge
claims I have late timing... well, it's 16BTDC. ;)

Anyhow..

Accelerator pump is back to non-functioning essentially.. I have an
Orange cam on it (what the carb came with).. it looks to me like the acc.
pump is puking it's guts out before the motor actually needs the fuel..
it's quirting out (30cc) awfully quickly.. almost before the motor starts
the VR of the ..... OOOOM cycle.  I'm assuming I need the fuel to squirt
in there somewhere between the moment I hit the throttle to the floor,
and when the motor's vacuum causes the main metering system to catch up.
In other words, I'm thinking I'm getting premature pump activation. :)  I
had it adjusted somewhat better before, but it still wasn't ideal.

Anyone know their Holley acc. pump cam colors and characteristics?
Darrel Kline's running the same setup I think..

Anyhow.. 'nuff of that.

Topped off the tank, took a 5 mile Interstate run at 80mph.. I think
there was a head wind.. 80mph on the way back was much easier.. anyhow,
no fouling on the highway.  I went out my 5 miles, then decided to climb
a mountain that's right there.. I hadn't tested the Scout on this hill
before the carb kit (usually the test was MacDonald pass, but that's 15
miles out of town, then up the pass, then back), but I started up this
hill in 3rd, maintaining the 35mph (+) speedlimit.. I then shifted into
4th gear, and just floored it.. no, it didn't leap, but it gradually
slowed down (under powered).. eventually giving me that "hey, you're
lugging me too low" rattle, and then it would have stalled had i not
shifted into 2nd and brought the revs back up.

The important point for *me*, is that it slowed *smoothly* down, not the
"soft jerk" feeling that a fouling/missing plug was giving me.. this was
just "powered out".

Paused at the top... idled smoothly (or close to it).. drove back down,
drove the 5 miles home on the highway @ 80mph, and then pulled in front
of the house.

Open hood... sounds smooth, doesn't rock n' sway much at idle.. exhaust
feels fairly consistent..

Shut it off, put on my gloves, and yank #6 spark plug... *white* like the
other plugs have been.  (what "shade" of white n' such?  Dunno.. worry
about that later... the point is, it's not black!).  This was even a plug
I'd fouled last weekend, and most of the fouling crud was gone too.

I think I'm going to the rifle range tomorrow, which is located on
MacDonald pass.. that'll be the real test.. can I climb the pass w/o fouling.

Deer & Elk open tomorrow.. but you won't find me out there (yet)..

Hopefully this is it.  :)

Thanks, all.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'77 Scout II - 304V8 that'll pull a load now?
'72 rebuild, '77&78 combining into a racer