Re: Those with 4 cylinders I need some info on jetting

Tom-

So you got the 24 mpg average on the model 1940 carb, right?  I wonder if I
should try that?  I am also thinking maybe I need to experiment.

When I bought this 61 Scout 80 I it came with a Weber DGV-5A 2 barrel with a
custom 2 barrel to 1 barrel adapter plate.  I research the specs on the
Weber and found out I would need to two of them to cover the cfm requirement
for the IH 196.  So I decided to put the original style carb on.  I got
better power, but I am really not sure if mileage was better since I
immediately replaced the carb when I purchased it.  Maybe I need to educate
myself I little more about carbs and find a newer version that atomizes gas
better.  I assume that I just need to much the cfm rate and find a suitable
jetting.  I think I will try a two barrel set-up like those introduced in
the 1970's (during the gas crisis) which modulated the flow upon necessary
demand of the engine and rate of acceleration.  Most of those carbs were
designed for 4 cylinders and small 6 cylinders so maybe one will work for
me?  In any case I am going to run a tank of gas on the new jetting (#61)
and see if that helps with mileage.

Any suggestions on a carb?

Thanks for you info.  It helps to have a baseline of thought to measure my
anticipated results and put my goals in better perspective.

I will keep you posted if I find anything.

Much thanks,
Matt _ SF