Re: My Scout & Trailers

In a brilliant stroke of genius, "Owen" <renarac@domain.elided> blurted
out:

>I might just put a filler nozzle pump on it and fill manually.

A thought... Quick disconnects are available that shut off all flow of fuel
upon separation.  Military helicopters I saw all had this sort of
arrangement for fuel line connections.  The lines were fabricated so that
the quick coupling was the weak link and would separate if the line were
pulled hard enough.

A fuel line between a trailer and tow vehicle could be fabricated from
flexible heavy duty multi-ply hose with break away connectors.  If said
couplers were accidentally pulled apart, a spring loaded valve in each
coupler would immediately seal the line to prevent feeding a fire.  I
believe quick couplers such as these are commonly available from
distributors of Parker and Aeroquip.  Lines incorporating shut-off devices
are also commonly used between propane tanks and regulators on RVs.  The
idea being if the propane tank were yanked free from the supply hose in an
accident, the special valve in the line would shut off the flow of propane.

Go for it!  Build a "fuel trailer" to haul 300 gallons of fuel for those
really l-o-n-g road trips.

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |