Re: Towing thoughts

In a message dated 10/15/98 6:42:49 AM Mountain Daylight Time, Chris & Ranae
Procyk <procyk19@domain.elided> writes:

<< I don't agree with Howard, in general, wheelbase seems to be the biggest
factor
 in safe towing... tires next, springs a close third.

On the other hand, I would tend to agree with Howard to the point that for a
beginner, follow the steps and guidelines Howard pointed out.  Even after
years of driving and pulling trailers, I still find myself, although rarely,
doing stupid things.  I was far less careless when I was a teenager pulling my
motorcycle trailer then I have caught myself being in the last few years.
Pulling a rocky mountain double around a crowded yard tends to really screw up
your judgement on just what your pick-up will do.  Once, due to complete
laziness on my part I loaded a puny little VW Rabbit BACKWARDS on a flatbed.
No way (in my mind) was this going to effect my big ol' heavy IH D1200!  I hit
35 mph and off to the races we went.  Luckily I was alone on two lanes of
interstate and slowed it down before that little Rabbit almost totalled my IH.
That was a good wake up call for me, I will never again take my IH weight for
granted on any load.
Other stupid mistakes I've made:
1.  Safety chains, properly attached, check 'em, then check 'em again.
2.  Seat the ball in the hitch and lock it, check it, pull it up, check it,
check it.
It may sound too careful to some but how many of you have done similar things,
I can't count how many times I've seen stupid mistakes like this on big rigs
with pro drivers.  The extra minute re-checking will be the difference of life
and death if you don't do it.
Brian '65 D1200 4x4 345 4bbl 4.11 the "Taxi"