Re: Towing

Good advice, Howard.  I've towed 8000# plus (Scout II loaded with spare parts
on a trailer normally used to haul an Allis-Chalmers 220) with my '79 Scout
II, 304, 727, 3.07 gears, and 31x10.50 Mickey Thompsons, stock suspension in
excellent condition.  Not a fun experience.  I'll never do it again.  As
capable as we like to think our Scouts are they've got several things working
against them when it comes to towing.   The short wheel base isn't the
greatest for stability.  All the rear overhang puts the receiver ball way back
behind the axle (something the Grand Cherokees have us beat on).  This means
lots of unwanted weight transfer to the rear axle and it gives the trailer
that much more leverage to yank the back of the truck around in cross winds.
The Scout's relatively narrow rear spring perches and lack of any kind of axle
locating device give it great articulation, but it does a lousy job of
controlling trailer sway.  Aside from the utility trailer, towing duties are
now restricted to the Travelette.

Jerry Muncie

In a message dated 10/14/98 3:09:28 PM US Eastern Standard Time,