Re: ihc-digest V6 #186

Hey, I've been out on vacation for a week, had sick kids, been commuting 3
hours a day, and haven't been able to get back to the list for a few weeks.

Sorry if this subject has already been well discussed, but I thought that
I'd
respond.

> From: Darrel Kline <darrelk@domain.elided> wrote:

> I've been thinking that I would use something thicker then primer and
paint
> on the interior floor. But Rhino lining is what $600 for a Scout II, and
> Durabak is probably $250? How about using the 3M rubberized undercoating
> that comes in spray cans? I don't know if it's suitable for interior use,
> but I don't see why not. It's only 5 bucks a can, and I think 6-8 cans
> would do the entire floor. After sandblasting is it mandatory to primer
and
> paint, or could I spray the undercoating directly onto the bare metal?
That
> would be too easy. Using the undercoating on both sides of the floor
(with
> insulation and carpet) should make for a super quiet ride.
> I've heard that there's a certain type of roofing material that can be
used
> instead of Dynamat that's really cheap. Anybody?

Darrel, I've spent some good time talking to the 3M support folks about
this
product.  It sounds great for undercoating, I'm using it now, and have seen

it survive in other vehicles for 10+ years.  But it takes forever to
remove,
and almost nothing* sticks to it (closed hatch(?) structure & never really
gets hard).  Now that I've got this stuff off my interior floors, I'll be
painting
the floors with POR-15.  Then it will be ready for the generic dynamat
stuff
(Ice Guard or something like that at Home Depot for around $70 for a house-
sized roll) & carpet or for rhino/linex.

If you use the 3M underseal product, be aware that there are about three
different products within that line.  I'd go with the most expensive one
(I can't find the numbers right now, but could dig them up later), it is
mostly
rubber, has a longer lifespan, and the 3M engineers strongly recommended
it over the cheaper siblings.  Also - you can't mix the different products
(put
a coat of one over the other) because in some combos one of the products
may never cure, etc.

Ken Farmer