RE:guage info

Brian '65 D1200,

    Malfunctioning gauges in am IH? I must be reading these too late at night, It's daytime now and I'm surprised you weren't swamped with stories of gauge problems. Ok, I read the back digests and found your post - must have read these when I was asleep.

" Should work but no fuel, oil or temp, alt works.  Fuel always reads 1/2 tank, full or empty, so I guess its right once in a while <g>. Temp is the same way.   No oil action though."

A likely culprit when the gauges don't work or work poorly is the voltage regulator behind the gauge cluster in the dash. There are wiring diagrams available for the gauges in the service manuals or at http://www.binderbulletin.org/techlib/electrical/diagrams.htm but these (web page) are listed for the Scout II and I'm not sure they would help you. The idea should be similar though. I'm not familiar with your year or type but the common problem that crops up is that the old mechanical voltage regulator stops working right and supplies an incorrect voltage to all of the gauges. It is on the back of the temp/oil gauges. The way the mechanical regulators work from descriptions I've heard is that when a voltage is applied (12VDC) it heats a coil around a piece of bimetallic strip. At a certain voltage the strip bends (unequal expansion between the two types of metal in the strip) and contact is broken cooling the strip. As soon as the strip cools enough contact is reestablished and the heating starts again. This all happens quickly and the contacts "buzz" as the connection is made/broken rapidly. See how this could wear out? Cheap, simple way of regulating voltage if rapid variations in the output aren't a factor. Gauge response is much slower that the oscillations. I believe the output is around 5V but don't know what current is required. Anyhow this is probably the culprit. All of my info is based on the Scouts but I think your vehicle would be the same. My apologies if your setup is completely different but it's a start and easier to check than replacing all of the senders.

Here is an interesting use of a solid state voltage regulator to replace the mechanical one originally used.
http://www.binderbulletin.com/faq/5.htm#12

Matt Palguta  1980 Scout II
--

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.