Re: Projection question

In a brilliant stroke of genius, "Bill Thebert"
<bthebert@domain.elided> blurted out:

>I've been interested myself in finding a REAL air/fuel mixture gauge that
>will operate concurently from the Holley O2 sensor.  The LED indicator on
>the closed loop kit is pretty "binary" -- displaying only ON ( = "too
>rich") or OFF ( = "too lean").  If you come across a gauge that will
>perform this function, I'd love to hear back from you.  Or perhaps John
>Landry can help ID the Holley O2 sensor, and a gauge that would be
>compatible.

Billy T.,

I can personally vouch that the Cyberdyne gauge can be used concurrently
with an engine management system.  As a matter of fact, Cyberdyne's
instructions which come with the gauge sort of expect this type of
installation.  All O2 sensors are universal... so far as their output goes.
So the Cyberdyne gauge will work with anything you got from Holley or
anyone else.

In trying to track down a problem on my 1987 Subaru GL-10 Turbo wagon, for
a period of time I moved the Cyberdyne mixture gauge over to it (it's back
in the Scout now).  All I did was remove a small amount of insulation from
the output wire of the existing O2 sensor in the Subaru and solder on a
small gauge wire running to the Cyberdyne gauge.  I covered the connection
with heat shrink tubing.  That's all there is to it!

It worked great in the Subaru as well as the Scout.  I could watch the
mixture start out rich when the coolant temp was cold.  Then, when the
closed-loop mode kicked in, the mixture would continuously and rapidly
bounce up and down around the stoichiometric mixture as the computer kept
adjusting and hunting for the perfect mixture.  The faster the engine would
run, the faster the bouncing of the LED's.  It was really cool to watch
when driving at night.  As the accelerator is pushed nearly to, or all the
way to the floor, an open-loop enrichment mode would activate and the gauge
would instantly show very rich.  Likewise, releasing the accelerator pedal
during deceleration shuts off the fuel injectors completely (in this
particular car) and the gauge would instantly show the mixture so lean the
gauge would be blank.

The gauge in no way affected the operation of the engine management
computer or the output of the O2 sensor.  I suspect the gauge consumes an
almost undetectable amount of current from the O2 sensor.  So for the less
than $40.00 the Cyberdyne gauge costs, I'd definitely install one if I had
a Projection system.

Regards,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |
Conservative Libertarian         |   1976 Red / White / Blue (and rust)
Life Member of the NRA           |  "Bicentennial" IHC Scout II Traveler
WA Arms Collectors               |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |          International Scout
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | Jeep owners... you wouldn't understand!