Re: # of studded tires (was sway bars)

>Not having much familiarity with studded tires, I certainly wouldn't want
>to go out on a limb with this one. However, I might say that two studded
>tires ON THE SAME AXLE shouldn't be a problem where as, two studded tires
>ONE FRONT, ONE REAR seems like it might be.

The issue is similar to the "Do I chain up the front or the rear axle on my
4wd?"

My grandfather swears, on a rear wheel drive, I should only put studs on the
*rear* tires, for the GO and stop traction.

But on a front wheel drive, you need 'em on the front *and* rear, to keep
the back end tracking straight, and to avoid some unpleasantness when you
nail the brakes, the front grabs, and the rear end just gets loose.  (hmm..
that doesn't sound good...)

Same on a 4wd...

If I chain the front tires up, I have great steering, great go, and good
stop... unless I'm headed downhill, at which point the rear has the chance
to simply slide around, putting me cross-wise on a steep slope, and then I
get to test my rollcage.

Put the chains on the rear, and you have better control.  Chain up all 4,
and you can get yourself someplace where you'll need a helicopter instead of
a tow-truck.

-Tom