Re: JC Whitney & Sway bars

In a brilliant stroke of genius, Doug Rasmussen <76075.2276@domain.elided>
blurted out:

>  Speaking of JC Whitney, sounds like at least a few digesters have ordered
>from them.  At one time they had a pretty poor reputation.  On one of the
>Compuserve auto forums the consenus was DON'T deal with them.  Have thing
>changed?  My only experience goes back many years, and then the problem was
>everything I ordered was out of stock.

I'd have to echo Dan Ness on his experiences with J.C. Whitney and add a
few comments...

I placed several orders with them in the last couple of years and have been
very satisfied.  When I called, the order taker new exactly what was and
wasn't in stock.  The order arrived promptly.  I recently purchased all of
my mandrel bent aluminized exhaust tubing from them in order to weld up my
own exhaust system.

A few things to keep in mind though... Their prices are not always the best
or cheapest.  In fact, it's my experience that if you live in an area where
auto parts distributors are plentiful, you can usually do better locally on
price... especially when you add in the shipping costs.  Sometimes they
have stuff on sale that looks like a good price.  Almost every catalog they
send has 10% off discount coupons on the back... you're crazy to place an
order without one.  If you see something in their catalog that looks too
cheap to be true... then you either don't understand what your buying or
it's junk!  If the price looks about right, then you're getting a square
deal.  All in all I'd say J.C. Whitney has really come back from their dark
days of the late 70's.  They seem to be doing a great job now.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    | "A fear of rebuilding automatic
Conservative Libertarian      |  transmissions is a sign of retarded
Life Member of the NRA        |  sexual and emotional maturity."
WA Arms Collectors            |                          - Sigmund Freud
Capital City Rifle & Pistol   |                  "General Introduction
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |                   to Mechanical Analysis"