Re: Water Pump Wrench

>Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 16:54:58 GMT
>From: jlandry@domain.elided (John A. Landry)
>Subject: Re: '76 Scout II woes...
>
>When the truth serum kicked in, Jim <junglejim@domain.elided> blurted out...
>
>>Questions:
>>(a) on fan....how do i get it off???
>>(b) is the big nut right or left hand threads?
>
>Jim,
>
>The large coupling nut is reverse threaded.  It's *easiest* to remove with a
>what's called a "pump wrench."  This wrench is thin enough to fit between the
>fan and the water pump.
>
>You could make one yourself if you have the tools and materials.

Jim, I am just dealing with replacing a water pump myself.  I removed the
fan clutch with a thin monkey wrench; although this worked, getting the
wrench into position was very awkward.  While waiting for a replacement
water pump, I made my own pump wrench!  I'd rather concentrate on getting
the Scout back on the road but since I had to wait for the pump I thought it
would be a great opportunity to try to make a wrench.  I took a 3.5" x 12" x
1/4" thick piece of steel and used a hole saw to cut a 1 7/8" hole near one
end.  Then I made two straight cuts parallel to the sides from the end to
the hole, creating a 1 7/8" open end wrench.  I had to spend a few minutes
with a file to widen the opening - I cut slightly small because I wanted to
make sure I had a good fit.  It works!  I intend to narrow the handle end
down to about 2" when I get a chance, but is usable right now.

Mike
Jamie and J. Michael Daugherty
jmdaugh@domain.elided