Re: Tom's grinning & motor

>>- -Tom, tired but still grinnin'
>Amazing what a woman (girl if you prefer) can do for a guy's attitude,
>isn't it?
>I think I remember this as being a truism.

<grin>  Yes it is, John.  :-)

>If John L. is right, and your problem is your valve guides, then isn't it
>interesting that the two cylinders showing the symptoms are opposite each

This is what keeps puzzling even me, not knowing so much about all this, and
all of my friends.. why 2 cylinders, *opposite* each other, not side by
side, are exhibiting the same behavior.

>With those cylinders being as close to the source of fuel, (the carb) as
>a cylinder can get, would they tend to show the effects of too-rich fuel
>more than 1,2,7,8?  What do you think about this, John L. ?

Steve Stegman's post this morning (last night?) has me thinking.  He had a
similar problem, with the main jets leaking fuel while in the idle
circuit... he theorized that I could be leaking some at idle, but at WOT (or
any low-vacuum condition, like accelerating on the highway, or climbing the
pass) it may be bleeding too much fuel right *past* the jets, and *liquid*
fuel is simply *pouring* into #5&#6, which, on a 2bbl 304, are pretty much
directly below the intake.

This reminded me that I had the carb apart since I put the motor on... I
can't remember if I was on the highway first or not (I think not).  I took
the fuel bowl off to poke around, check the jet size and the float setting.

After taking it apart, I realized that my new 2300's float is externally
adjustable.  Take the sight-plug out, loosen the valve, and adjust.  Center
hung float at that, so off-road should be great... I haven't even put my
spring-loaded needle & seat in yet.

Anyhow, I removed one of the main jets to see the size (63 I think), since
discussions over the past year have led me to believe that this 2300 came to
me (aftermarket 7744, off-road use only... well, maybe in California.  ;))
with jets too large.  A set of 58s are sitting in my bedroom waiting for me
to install.

Anyhow, when I took it apart, I tore the main metering block gasket in
half... but didn't have a replacement handy.  So I put it back together and
crossed my fingers...

I'm going to pick up a new gasket tonight and see if that makes any
change... of course, I'm making that spare Dana 20 fit before I do
*anything*, since I can't very well romp on the throttle to test the engine
until the t'case mounting will hold up without breaking the case *again*.

>Anyway, Tom, checking the valve guides is so easy, that you need to do it
>first, being as the plugs don't seem to be defining your problem as fuel
>or oil.

I need to do it just so I can say I've done it and I know how to do it.  :-)

Heck, I pulled the valve covers on my 345 builder motor last week.. first
time I've ever done *that*.

Sheesh, with all of the engineering in my head and work I've done thus far,
you'd think I knew everything... but I'm just a newbie still.  Gettin'
better every day with everyone's advice though...

Thanks, everyone!

-Tom