Re: Dana 20 wouldn't fit

> I ran into this when I swapped a T19 in place of a T18 in my '75
>Scout. It's not that the hole is a different size, but that
>the part of the dana 20 casting where the shifter mounts to hits
>the side of the transmission. I took a grinder to it, and eventually
>got it to fit. I would assume this is a pre/post '75 thing, since
>that's when the T18/T19 change happened.

I *thought* that was the problem, too.  But it *looked* like the shifter
should clear.. it was close, but I couldn't tell that it was *rubbing*.. I
guess I can give the '72 Dana 20 a try after I clearance the shifter mount a
bit... the Scouts back in Helena finally, and that 4" grinder is waiting in
the garage..

I found teeth marks on the Dana 20's input opening from the input gear...
but only on one side of the case, not the other (er... one half of the case
opening had marks, one half didn't)

It sure looked darn close to going on...

I guess the sledge hammer might've done the trick... ;-)

Thanks, Curt.  I'll try clearancing before I rig my hoist to lift the racer
carcass up and get the Dana 20 out from under it...

I've found that lifting the Dana 20 into the '77 w/ 4" lift and 33s is a lot
easier on a person than crawling under the '72 w/ no lift and 235/75s to
drag the 'case out... wrenched my back when I did that, but the '77 w/ lift
is just a matter of straight bench pressing the 'case up and down.

Thanks,

-Tom