My Misfortune

Hmmm... I wasn't quite as chipper and cheery about things later last night...

Someone slap me upside the head and confirm I shoulda known better.  In the
Scout II, did IH/Dana use two different sized input holes?

GRRRR

The 4spd T19 in the '77 is a '76 T19 from Dan Younquist.  It had a Dana 20
mated to the back.  That Dana 20 is all apart on my shop bench, waiting for
the Bronco gears.

When I ran out of time to put the 'case together before Divide Ride, I put
the original Dana 20 that was from behind the T15 3spd ('77) behind the '76
T19.  No problem.

So last night, I pull into Missoula with Dan at about 9:45, with the Dana 20
from the '72 Scout... I assume it's the originally xfer case, but it was
behind a '79 T15 3spd.

I unbolt the rear driveshaft, remove the front (I hate hooking the U-bolts
up on the front output, so for time's sake, it was just staying off for the
day).  Unbolt the broken chunk from the bottom of the 'case (the two on the
lower left), remove the "backwards" bolt, yank it out.

Drag the '72 Dana 20 over, man handle it into place, heave it up... it won't
go on.  I get about 2/3 of the way over the input gear, and it won't go any
farther.  Run my fingers around the hole... hmm.. not much room...

Try and try and try to wiggle, waggle, and then push with my legs (which
made the whole Scout roll) to put the 'case on.  Yank it down and put it
back up a few times.  Eyeball the two holes ('77 D20 vs. '72 D20)...

Start cursing my luck around 11pm, and wanting my grinder that was sitting
at home so I could "fix" this little problem... either that, or the sledge
hammer.... (hindsight, the air grinder was in the Scout, and I had a belt
handy I could've used to re-connect the on-board air... probably best I
didn't remember this last night tho').

Yank it out, throw the '72 D20 aside in disgust.

Drag the '77 D20 back under, heave it into place, slather it with Permatex,
and put the broken pieces back in place...

Only 2 bolts are holding the 'case in... the top center/right, and the
backwards bolt.  The two bottom ones are only holding the broken chunk in,
and I couldn't find a nut for the "ear" bolt.  Hmm... this looks *great*.

Fill it with lube, throw everything back into the Scout... midnight.  Ugh.

Naturally, too late to stop by and visit anyone (lights were out, anyhow)...

So I rolled up the passenger side of the soft-top, to make for a nice draft
from the manifold pipe donut leak, through the removed trans access cover,
and right out the passenger rear quarter area, and headed out.

Filled up just outside of Missoula, and put 5gal in the Jerry can.  I went
55mph to 65mph most of the way for around an hour.. at 2am, I decided it was
time for a nap and pulled off at Garrison.  6am I was up and rolling for Helena.

The spark plugs didn't foul until I was climbing the pass.  So I didn't burn
through the full tank of gas and the Jerry can.

They're fouled now, after getting back into town (after climbin' the
pass)... not sure if I've cleaned things up w/ the ATF, or if it was because
I kept my foot ouf of the throttle and took it easy (only 2 bolts in that
t'case y'know)

So.....

I have a '77/78 drivetrain in my racer in the driveway.  345/727/D20.

Am I correct in remembering the only thing special is the *INPUT* gear
(tranny output) between the 727 and the T19.  That is, I *can* swap the
transfer case from the racer (727) behind the T19 in the grey '77.

If that's the case, I guess I'm jacking the racer up and putting it on jack
stands tonight while I remove the Dana 20 from it...

Then I can get back to this fouled plug problem... *sigh*

*yawn*

-Tom