Re: Becky's strange electrical box

Becky,
  it sounds like a DTM to me. I have one sitting right next to me (along
with the manual). It's about a 2 inch X 3 inch Box with 5 wires coming
out the top. One wire is a ground attached to the mounting hole. Two
wires are plugged to a selenoid that is bolted to the bottom of the box.
This selenoid has 3 vaccuum fittings on it. 1 up, 1 down and 1 forward.
The last 2 wires plug to the engine harness. One of these wires leads to
the + coil lead at the bulkhead connector and the other goes to the
white wire on the "gold box" or the white wire on the Prestolite
distributor. Is this what you are talking about? This one says
Prestolite SWF 4280 right under the mounting hole where the ground wire
is attached.
  I went through all this a few years ago. I spent ALOT of time on the
phone with the very hepfull and patient folks at Scout M.A.D.ness trying
to figure it out. At first I thought it was the "gold box", but I have a
prestolite. I simply unplugged it and took it out.  Plug the vaccuum
lines or remove them and cap the other ends. Or, you can have this one
if you would like. I have no idea whether it works or not. The problem I
was having at the time turned out to be the coil. By the way, don't buy
cheap coils. I burned up several Checker coils ($10.00) before I wised
up and got a Standard brand ($25.00).
  I hope that helps. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Happy Scoutn,
Bryan