Re: Websites for IH's

> From: Matt and Stacy Sopher <sopher@domain.elided>
> I want to be able to put it on the web. pics and all.
> So, how did you guys do it? Where do I start? What about this webring
> thing? Sponsors? Cost? PLease! fill me in.

Matt:

Several big questions in your note.

A little more than a year and a half ago, I went to the Computer store and
came home with a book called "Learn HTML in a Weekend", or something like
that.  I sat down with it, and within a couple of hours had written a basic
page using nothing more than Windows "Notepad".  ("HTML" is the code
language of web pages, by the way.  "Hyper-Text Markup Language")

There are many programs out there now that will help you to author HTML
code pages.  They're certainly handy, and I use a couple of them myself.
But I think it's a mistake to *start* right off with one of these, for it
frequently prevents one from ever getting a grasp of basic HTML code rules
and principles.  Not learning these basics makes it pretty hard to
troubleshoot a problem when a page doesn't display as it should.

You can write web pages, and display them in your browser, with nothing
more than your home PC.  It's just like writing a letter.  You can compose
the page in "Notepad", then look at it in "Explorer" or "Netscape".  Only
when it's time to "publish" your pages do you need to find a "Web Server".

Most ISPs who sell you dial-up *access* services to the Internet also
include a limited amount of web server space as part of the deal.  When I
was with Earthlink (as user "bthebert"), my free space on their web server
was located on a machine called "home.earthlink.net", in a directory called
"~bthebert".  The URL to my Earthlink home page was therefore:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bthebert

All one needs to do is COPY the pages (composed and tested at home) up to
the web server directory -- using a software tool/method called "FTP".

If your "access provider" does not offer web page hosting as part of the
deal, go to one of the big Internet search engines (Infoseek, HotBot,
Excite, etc.) and search for the words "Web Hosting".  You will find
literally THOUSANDS of folks willing to rent you a slice of their web
servers.  Most "deals" are a contract for a specified amount of disk space,
plus a specified amount of "data transfer" each month -- for an agreed
price.  Extra disk space (if your site has lots of stuff on it), or extra
data transfer (if your site becomes especially busy with lots of visitors)
usually mean extra charges.

Beware of hosting providers who seem to offer a whole lot for nothing
(e.g., "150 MB of disk space and UNLIMITED data transfer for only $8.95 per
month!").  Almost anyone can set up a server in their living room and start
selling web space.  They can also disappear overnight, taking all of your
hard work (plus credit card numbers, etc.) with them.  I can recommend some
specific web-hosting-providers if you like (not the cheapest, but very well
established and stable -- plus willing and able to provide support).

Lastly, the WebRing is a free service.  Anyone with an IHC-related page can
join.  Details are at:

http://www.binderbulletin.org/ihc_ring.htm

I created this particular WebRing (there are many others, from Corvettes to
Beanie Babies), and I handle the administration (adding/deleting sites,
etc.).  There are no "sponsors" or "ads" related directly to the WebRing.
A small amount of HTML code must be added to your page if you wish to join.
 It's the stuff that helps folks get from one site to the next.

I hope this wasn't a $2 answer to a $0.25 question . . .

Regards,

Bill Thebert
The Binder Bulletin
http://www.binderbulletin.org
"Learned HTML in a weekend, and then just couldn't stop."