Re: Becky's electrical Problem

In a brilliant stroke of genius, rikofwa@domain.elided (RIK D DESJARDIN) blurted
out:

>I have a 77 Scout Traveler with a 345 and I don't have anything like the
>electrical component you described.    I don't have any polution control
>components on the vehicle either.  To the best of my knowledge it doesn't
>sound neccessary.  I've had my Scout probably 15years and have never
>replaced the gold box.

I had a brief chance to look into this before I left for work this morning.
I *think* Becky's talking about one of the styles of speed monitoring and
vacuum controlling devices found on some Scouts.  It reads the ignition
pulses from the electronic ignition system to establish the current engine
rpm.

Above a certain engine rpm, the device supplies vacuum to a modulator on
the side of the carb.  This modulator holds the throttle open slightly in
an effort to reduce exhaust emissions.  Below that speed, the modulator is
deactivated.

Becky, if this is what you have, then yes it can be bypassed or even
removed to get the engine to operate properly.  Certain exhaust emissions
may be affected.  You should be able to completely disconnect it and remove
it without affecting the operation of the electronic ignition.  Without
being exactly sure of what you have, I can't give you specific instructions
on how to do this.  If you had a picture of the device, one of us could
probably e-mail you a wiring diagram that would permit bypassing.

Good luck,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |