Dropped drive line

Steve

>1.  What else might I have damaged that I can't see?

I've been told that the flopping around sometimes can damage the seal at
the transfer case, but that's never happened to me.

>2.  Where can I locate a new yoke for the Dana 44?
That yoke is a very strange thing to have damaged. If yours is damaged,
then obviously that can happen, but I don't think it happens very often.
Try one of the vendors that also carries used parts.

>3.  U-Joints.  Sources, recommendations or input.
The machine shop in Ridgecrest, CA that did two drivelines for me didn't
trust U-Joints from Kragen or somebody elses, but the one I got from
Carquest they said was OK. I don't have any idea why on any of this, but
the story is factual, regardless of whether the information has any merit
or not.

>4.  How can I ensure the shaft is straight.  If bent, where can I find a
>new one.

A driveline shop or an automotive machine shop can test your shaft for
straightness, and can also replace the "pipe" that connects the two ends.
They can also supply the U-Joint. I personally believe that having the
shaft done by a shop is by far the best alternative when a shaft has been
subjected to the stresses yours has been through. The shop in Ridgecrest
didn't charge me a lot, and did a really good job.

FWIW
John H.

>PS  Thanks to the digest.  If I hadn't read previously about some of your
>exploits I never would have thought to extract the remnants of the shaft,
>lock the from hubs, drop into 4WD and drive my front wheel drive Scout back
>home.  :-)

Glad we digesters led you the right direction. (g) Never mind what the
grin is about.